Indoor Air Quality
Everyone understands the importance of fresh air.
But how do you improve the quality of the air inside your Salt Lake City home or business? And what can you do if your indoor air quality (IAQ) becomes compromised because of your surrounding environment?
At Friendly Home Services, we offer practical and sustainable heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) solutions to improve the comfort and safety of your surroundings. Our A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) lets you know we’re a company that gets the job done right.
What is IAQ?
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines indoor air quality as the air we breathe within and around buildings and structures, especially as it relates to our health. Unfortunately, the air we breathe in Salt Lake City is a concern.
According to the American Lung Association, Utah has some of the worst air in the country with its high levels of pollution and seasonal inversions. Much of it has to do with our topography and weather.
Even so, the air quality inside our homes is often overlooked but very important to consider. The air between the walls of your home can be holding more pollution and contaminants than the polluted outside air.
We spend most of our lives inside, so why not breathe clean, comfortable, and healthy air?
What Causes Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Most people believe the air in their homes is clean, providing nobody smokes indoors or uses harsh cleaning chemicals for cleaning. But this is not the case at all.
Would you believe it if we told you ordinary household furnishings are one of the biggest culprits in creating subpar air quality? These items emit harmful toxins that can cause a variety of problems. Below is a list of some of the primary causes of compromised indoor air quality:
- Finishers, sealers, adhesives, and a wide range of fabrics contain benzene, toluene, formaldehyde as well as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that slowly release in a gaseous form.
- Paint, flooring, furniture, rugs, clothing, and other typical household items may be putting your family at risk.
- Inadequate ventilation systems that do not circulate air properly also negatively contribute to your air quality.
- Dirty ducts, poorly-designed ducts, and lack of a quality filtration system are huge problems.
- Pet dander, dust, dirt, and airborne allergens are in the air despite our best cleaning efforts.
The Air Quality Solution
Cleaner, healthier, and comfortable air is obtainable and maintainable with our air purification systems and services. Start breathing easy today with Friendly Home Services indoor air quality solutions. We offer:
- UV (ultraviolet lights)—Protect your HVAC system and improve your air quality.
- Humidifiers—We offer standard and steam humidifiers to add moisture into the air and increase your comfort level.
- Media Filters—These filters allow you to enjoy improved filtration without compromising your airflow!
- Electronic air scrubbers—Attaches directly to your ductwork to eliminate surface contaminants, pet dander, air pollution, dust, and other pollutants.
- Dehumidifiers—A whole-house dehumidifier offers the perfect solution to those hot, muggy days.
- Air sanitizers—Enjoy a breath of fresh air while eliminating bothersome odors and other pollutants.
Ductwork, HVAC Filters, and IAQ
The air ducts in your home play a vital role in circulating fresh air. The trick is to keep those ducts cleaned and properly sealed.
The National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) warns your HVAC system can breed mold, fungi, bacteria, and other contaminants. Schedule an appointment to determine if your air ducts need cleaning.
HVAC air filters with a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values) rating of 13 or higher can help trap the smallest of particles that would otherwise circulate in your home. Follow manufacturer guidelines in choosing your furnace filter—using the highest-efficiency filter, in some cases, can interfere with your system’s airflow and cause it to slow down.
Remember to change your HVAC air filter every one to three months—more so if you have pets or someone who smokes in your Salt Lake City home. These filters are your first line of defense when it comes to maintaining your indoor air quality.
Call Your IAQ Experts Today
Take control of the air you breathe in Salt Lake City, UT. When it comes to your indoor air quality, Friendly Home Services has years of experience and a vast array of products to improve your air. Call 801-923-6355 or request service online today to learn about other products to enhance your environment.